Wednesday, December 15, 2010

I'm back. (Hopefully) For good.

Hi, everyone. It's been a long, long time since I posted something. I'm sorry for that.

Well, a couple of things happened in recent times:

1) I've finally met my fellows of kde-br. We had such a good time at Natal (RN) in the III KDE Forum - Northeast Edition (within IV ENSL). My talk was about GSoC, KDE, how to get involved, etc. It was pretty cool. My intent for the next events is to talk about more technical stuff (e.g. an introductory Solid tutorial or something like that)

2) Google funded me (thanks, Carol!) to attend Google Developer Day at São Paulo, and it was awesome. There were excellent talks about Android, Google App Engine, Cloud Computing, etc. Unfortunately, it lasted only one day.

3) I've got a partial-time job as a teacher (yes, who could tell?) in a city nearby (about 180km), called Patos. I'm lecturing two subjects: OO (with Java :p) and something like AI. It's being really nice, actually. Teaching is the better way to learn. :)

Well, that's the good news. The bad news is that my masters work is kind of stuck and it will take a few more months beyond the expected. I'm really not happy with that, believe me. From January on I expect some real progresses on this matter.

Other bad news I have to tell is about my Solid backend (UPnP). Seems like KDE is crashing because of something related with UPnP (yes, guys, I saw the bug reports, just a little bit of patience ;) and I'll investigate this ASAP (my KDE trunk install is really messed up). Actually, I've decided to change the whole underlying layer of UPnP backend. Currently, it's using a library called HUPnP. I've decided to change this library and replace it for another Qt-based UPnP stack called BRisa. In a few days I'll post another blog entry explaining my reasons to do that. Sadly, this change only will be seen in the 4.7 release, since the 4.6 branch is frozen now and the monthly releases are for bugfixes only.

Back to the good news, I'm intending to get back to the KDE work this weekend and address the bugs reported (btw, thanks to the ones who did it). I will try to manage my time properly from now on, I swear. :p

See ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment