Monday, May 31, 2010

GSoC Code Week #1: Prologue

Hello, KDE planet! :-)

I'm a little bit late with this post, but finally here I am. And for those who are not aware of my project, just read this post. ;-)

Well, last week was my first coding week on this GSoC and as a pretty newbie KDE developer I had some problems with some noob stuff like cmake, dependencies and these kind of things, but I think that I'm close to solve it all. As I said to Kevin (my mentor), I'm a Java programmer who knows some C++/Qt, but I can say that I'm having some progresses at all.

Right now I have a general class which represents an ordinary UPnP device, that I called Solid::Backends::UPnPDevice (pretty obvious, right?). I've implemented a control point too, through the Solid::Backends::UPnPDeviceManager class. My intent is to get able to list the available devices ASAP. I'm with some linking problems (here are the newbie problems again) with HUPnP, but Nikhil Marathe (who has a related GSoC project with the Amarok people) gently offered himself to help, and very soon I'll be in touch with him. :-)

Since the main library used by my project (HUPnP) is under some license incompatibility (it uses GPLv3) with the rest of libsolid (LGPLv2), I've not committed anything yet, but soon I'll do it and disable the backend of the builds and distribution, to avoid any license crime. Tuomo Penttinen, the HUPnP creator and maintainer is aware of it and is planning to change the license in a near future.

Well, that's it for now. As soon as I can list the available UPnP devices I could post some screenshots here, right? People really like screenshots :-).

Regards.

2 comments: